Thursday, March 1, 2012

Working with Highschool Students


Over the past two days I have had the opportunity to work with students enrolled in the Tutor Corps program at the local high school in Immokalee. The first day we were able to assist the junior students while they filled out applications for different collegiate summer programs throughout the United States. Not only were we able to help them complete the applications, but we were also able to alleviate some fears the students were facing in regards to enrolling in college. Personally, I was able to talk to a young man who is interested in becoming a nurse, which is my major. I introduced him to some options he has in the nursing field, such as becoming a nurse practitioner, that I wish I would have known about prior to going off to college. Today we had the opportunity to have a panel discussion with a group of high school students who were a mixture of freshman and sophomores. Throughout this discussion they had the opportunity to ask us any questions they may have about our personal majors, Duquesne University, food, campus life, and many other things. Even though we were there to help the high school students, I know we all got a lot out of the experience as well. Personally, it reminded me of what an honor it was to have all the resources I did when I was applying to college because for most of the students we worked with they were the first in their families to attend college. Furthermore, there are numerous other students who will never have the opportunity to attend college for varying different reasons. Therefore, it really put my whole educational adventure into a new perspective. Lastly, I enjoyed getting a teenagers perspective on growing up in Immokalee we learned a lot of about the life of the farm workers and getting to see the impact that has on their children and community members was also very educational. Sometimes the littlest things can teach you more than you expect going into it, and this was definitely one of those times.
            -Megan, Sophomore Nursing Student

No comments:

Post a Comment