Saturday, February 25, 2012

Pinhooker Market


My first day in Immokalee has been an eye opening experience to say the least. I was able to go to the market today to get supplies for our dinner. While we were there, I was amazed at how I felt like I wasn’t even in the United States anymore. I felt like I did when I went to Belize on my very first mission trip. I could see the similarities of the two communities just in the short time that I was at the market.  The market was very similar to the markets that I saw in Belize and I really had to pinch myself because I truly felt like I was in a different country. The people were similar in the sense that they are Hispanic and the cultures are very similar. Also, the housing structures and designs were similar in the sense of kind of run down buildings and the color of the buildings. The market was just like being dropped into either Mexico or Belize and being completely immersed in. The market was open and the prices for the food were amazingly cheap for the amount of food that we were getting. If we had just gone to the grocery store, it would have easily cost us over 50 dollars for everything that we bought. Also, the people were friendly and wanted to show us the produce that they had to sell. Going to the market was almost like leaving the “civilization” that Americans know and going to into the life of the farm workers and their families. The only way to end this entry is to say there is so much more to learn about Immokalee.

-Nicole Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment